Legend has it that in about 480 AD, when St Brigid became set on finding a monastery in Kildare town, she asked the High King of Leinster for the land to build it on in return for reducing the size of his ears. The king granted her as much land as her cloak would cover. So St Brigid then placed her cloak on the ground to cover the entire Curragh plain. The King thought her cloak was small until her four helpers pulled each corner in all directions making it the whole size of the Curragh. The king and his household were amazed and now knew she was truly blessed by God. He later became a patron of her monastery and assisted St.Brigid with food, money and gifts.
Moone High Cross:
Prominent titled families held ownership of the Kildare Country Club and by the 16th Century it was in the hands of the de Penkiston family. They paid dearly, however, for their part in a rebellion and forfeited the lands.
The 17th century
The lands were disposed of to the Gaydon family in the early 17th Century and in Cromwellion times, were forfeited again and granted to Thomas Bewley. The Gaydon family, declared innocent of the charges by which the property was seized from them, were eventually granted back the 700 acres, which they later sold to Richard Talbot in 1679 for the sum of £700.
The 19th century
In 1831 Hugh Barton, purchased the property, from Buttervant in Co. Cork, who had extensive vineyards in
The design of the new house, which is now the east wing of the 5 star hotel in Kildare, was based on that of a great chateau at Louveciennes, to the west of
The 20th & 21st century
The House remained in the Barton family until 1949, since which time has had five owners including Steven O'Flaherty, Kevin Mc Clory, an Iranian General - Nader Jahanbani , Patrick Gallagher and the Ferguson family. The Jefferson Smurit Group then purchased it in 1988.
The K Club luxury five star hotel in Ireland was opened as a Resort in July 1991, comprising of 36-bedroom hotel, and one Arnold Palmer designed golf course. Since then a second golf course The Palmer Smurfit course was developed, and an additional 33 bedrooms, garden and courtyard suites, state of the art clubhouse with ballroom and conference facilities and a luxurious spa have been added to the resort.
Dr Michael Smurfit and Mr Gerry Gannon privately purchased The K Club in 2005.